Excavation at suspected mass grave site begins
RUDNICA -- Excavation at Rudnica, south-west Serbia, began on Wednesday on grounds of clues that the site holds a mass grave containing the remains of ethnic Albanians.
They were killed during the conflict in Kosovo and Metohija in 1999.
Veljko Odalović, head of the Belgrade delegation in the Working group in charge of cases of people gone missing during the incidents in Kosovo in 1998-1999, told reporters during a tour of the site that expert teams have been deployed at the scene together with anthropologists, archaeologists, forensic scientists, pathologists, representatives of the Priština delegation, EULEX, International Commission on Missing Persons and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
”Technically speaking, the site is ready and the works will not be interrupted until the site is searched thoroughly, and we will work over the coming weekends as well,” Odalović said.
According to the assessments based on the information on the potential number of remains buried at the site, the digs will take some 60 days, Odalović said.
The procedure will be transparent and reporters had a chance to visit the site on Wednesday, while members of the association of families of Kosovo Albanians will be able to visit the site occasionally, he noted.
”The work will be long and painstaking, and all examinations will be performed at the scene,” he stated.
Exhumation, examination of remains and sampling for purposes of DNA analysis will be performed at the spot and the analyses will be conducted by the International Commission on Missing Persons in the Tuzla laboratory in Bosnia-Herzegovina, he said.
Odalović could not specify the number of victims buried at the site but he noted that the entire location would be searched.
Chairman of the Kosovo Commission on Missing Persons Prenk Djetaj expressed satisfaction that the exhumation of Kosovo Albanians' remains has begun on Wednesday.
”I believe that we will continue cooperating in this way in order to solve the fate of missing persons. If this issue was solved, the bridges of reconciliation would be closer,” Djetaj said.
Remains of two ethnic Albanians were previously discovered at the Rudnica site and their identity was confirmed by DNA analysis.
On April 7, the 36th meeting of the Belgrade and Priština delegations concerning the grave site in Rudnica was held in Priština under the auspices of the International Committee of the Red Cross.
The Serbian War Crimes Prosecutor's Office and the Serbian government Commission on Missing Persons began new digs in Rudnica in December 2013 at the spot where the remains of 250 people are believed to have been secretly buried.
The Rudnica case was triggered by protected witness who told EULEX in Priština that the bodies of murdered Kosovo Albanians were transported to the old stone pit in 1999.
Some parts of the Rudnica stone pit were examined for the first time in 2007 and the examinations continued in 2010 and 2011 but nothing was found.
Wednesday 23.04.2014 | 17:04 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (2) | Send comment
PRIŠTINA, BELGRADE -- The Kosovo assembly in Priština on Wednesday adopted a law to extend the mandate of the European Union Rule of Law Mission in Kosovo (EULEX).
Wednesday 23.04.2014 | 14:03 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (2) | Send comment
KOSOVSKA MITROVICA -- A petition with more than 7,000 signatures requesting the release of Oliver Ivanović pending his trial will be submitted to EULEX representatives.
Tuesday 22.04.2014 | 14:43 | Source: B92, Tanjug | Comments: (32) | Send comment
PRIŠTINA -- A recent statement by a member of the government in Priština concerning plans to demolish a Serbian Orthodox church in that town has caused reactions.
Monday 21.04.2014 | 14:04 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (6) | Send comment
BRUSSELS -- EU High Representative Catherine Ashton will visit Belgrade later this month, as soon as Serbia's new government has been formed.
Monday 21.04.2014 | 10:57 | Source: Tanjug, Večernje novosti | Comments: (33) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Patriarch Irinej has voiced hope that Serbia and its government would never make any gesture that could lead to giving up on the southern province of Kosovo.
Monday 21.04.2014 | 09:19 | Source: Tanjug, Večernje novosti | Comments: (43) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- The Vatican does not intend to accept the unilaterally declared independence of Kosovo, says Serbian Foreign Minister Ivan Mrkić.
Friday 18.04.2014 | 13:50 | Source: Beta | Comments: (15) | Send comment
PRIŠTINA -- Kosovo Prime Minister Hashim Thaci has called on members of the Kosovo assembly to vote in favor of establishing a special court for war crimes.
Friday 18.04.2014 | 13:18 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (2) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- The government and Serbs in Kosovo have met their obligations from the Brussels agreement, says Aleksandar Vulin, a minister in Serbia's caretaker cabinet.
Friday 18.04.2014 | 12:37 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (2) | Send comment
PRIŠTINA -- EULEX has rejected accusations against it coming from Serbs from northern Kosovo, who said that arrests carried out by the EU mission "represented kidnappings."
Friday 18.04.2014 | 10:02 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (24) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Serbs driven out of Đakovica in Kosovo sent a protest to the Priština authorities for not being allowed to visit their town and property on Good Friday.
Thursday 17.04.2014 | 11:29 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (9) | Send comment
KOSOVSKA MITROVICA -- Local officials in northern Kosovo announced on Wednesday that they "cut off" cooperation with EULEX police and declared their members unwelcome in the north.
Wednesday 16.04.2014 | 11:09 | Source: Politika, Tanjug | Comments: (11) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- Coordinator of the RECOM Initiative Natasa Kandić says "no evidence" has been found to confirm the allegations that Oliver Ivanović participated in any crimes.
Tuesday 15.04.2014 | 16:33 | Source: Beta, Tanjug | Comments: (18) | Send comment
PRIŠTINA -- Kosovo President Atifete Jahjaga has proposed that the mandate of EULEX be extended and a special court for war crimes committed by the KLA to be established.
Tuesday 15.04.2014 | 12:06 | Source: Tanjug | Comments: (20) | Send comment
BELGRADE -- The Serbian Government’s Office for Kosovo said that Aleksandar Vulin was denied entry to Kosovo by the authorities in Priština on Tuesday.